At The Apothecary Room we pride ourselves on sourcing our carrier oils and essential oils from reputable and ethical sources. If we can we buy organic essential oils and floral waters and we try and buy from UK sources so reducing our ‘oil’ miles!
Each formula and blend is tested on friends and family before we decide if we want to sell it. The potions have to do two things: they have to feel wonderful on our skin and they have to make us feel good too.
We thought you’d like to know what each carrier and essential oil are useful for and how they fit into the blends we make:
- Orange: anti-depressant, antiviral, hypotensive. Warm, bright, uplifting and restorative.
- Rose: antidepressant, astringent. Excellent for dry, mature skins, nurturing and relaxing.
- Rosewood: Mild and rounds out florals. Good for dull, sensitive, dry skin.
- Grapefruit: Astringent, stimulating. Helps to combat depression, especially SAD and general fatigue.
- Lemon: Antiseptic and detoxifying. Stimulates the body’s systems and lifts the emotions.
- Lavender: Good for everything! Analgesic, antiseptic, antiviral, balancing, cooling. It relaxes and balances.
- Mandarin: Antiviral, uplifting and yet relaxing. Eases all aspects of nervous exhaustion and anxiety. Good for oily skin.
- Geranium: antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, uplifting. Benefits all skins, keeping it supply, and tones dull skin and improves circulation.
- Bergamot: Member of citrus family, antiseptic and uplifting. Useful for treating skin conditions such as acne. Cheerful!
- Patchouli: Both uplifting and sedative. A small amount stimulates the nervous system. Helps cell growth so good for chapped skin or inflammation.
- Juniper: Antiseptic and warming. Detoxifies blocked pores, good for acne and oily skin. Cleans out the body and mind of excess toxins and anxieties.
- Frankincense: Rejuvenating. Really good for mature skins, smooth’s wrinkles and produces a sense of calm.
- Carrot: Antiseptic and relaxing. Good for revitalizing and toning skin, particularly mature and wrinkled complexions.
- Peppermint: Antiseptic, cooling and uplifting. Reduces inflammation and has a cooling effect.
- Sandalwood: Antidepressant and antiseptic. Soothes dry and irritated skins. Reduces redness. It is relaxing and soothing and calms anxieties.
- Avocado Oil: especially good for a dry and dehydrated skin contains vitamins and protein.
- Apricot Oil: Good for prematurely aged, sensitive, dry and inflamed skins.
- Sweet Almond Oil: Rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. Good for all skin types relieves itching and dryness.
- Rosehip Oil: Clinically tested and shown to help minimise the appearance of wrinkles, smooth skin and dramatically improve skins moisture levels.
- Vitamin E Oil: especially good for fine lines, dry skin and wrinkles.
- Jojoba Oil: This mimics collagen and is highly penetrative. Excellent for skin types and helps with inflammation.
- Argan Oil: extracted from the kernels inside the fruit by Berber women in Morocco (now set up as co-operatives so helps women have a wage, education and be more financially independent). Wonderful for softening and smoothing the skin.
- Macadamia Oil: Highly nourishing and good for all skin types.
- Castor Oil: This oil attracts dirt and grime and is slow to absorb into the skin, so perfect for getting make up off.
- Evening Primrose Oil: Helps to prevent the premature aging of the skin.
- Grapeseed Oil: Contains vitamins and protein and is good for all skin.
An uplifting range of hand blended products